Samsung halts business with Chinese supplier over child labor fears

Sci & Tech
By Reuters | Jul 14, 2014

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd said on Monday it had suspended business with a Chinese supplier it suspected of employing child labor, less than a week after a U.S. watchdog report accused the supplier of using under-aged workers.

The South Korean smartphone maker said it found an "illegal hiring process" at Dongguan Shinyang Electronics Co Ltd, which supplies mobile phone covers and parts.

Dongguan Shinyang Electronics could not immediately be reached for comment. South Korean firm Shinyang Engineering Co Ltd., which owns all of Dongguan Shinyang, also could not be immediately reached for comment.

 Samsung added that it had previously found no child workers at the Chinese company in three audits since 2013. The latest audit ended on June 25.

"The Chinese authorities are also looking into the case," Samsung said in a statement on Monday, adding that it would cut all ties with the supplier if the allegations were true.

"If the investigations conclude that the supplier indeed hired children illegally, Samsung will permanently halt business with the supplier in accordance with its zero-tolerance policy on child labour," it said.

U.S.-based China Labor Watch released a report on Thursday alleging that the Chinese firm used child labor. The U.S. watchdog said it had found "at least five child workers" without contracts at the supplier.

Samsung demands suppliers adopt a hiring process that includes face-to-face interviews and the use of scanners to detect fake IDs, to ensure no child labourers are employed.

But China Labor Watch said that Samsung's monitoring system was ineffective.

The watchdog accused one of Samsung's suppliers of using child labor in 2012. Samsung subsequently said it found no under-aged workers at the facility.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS