School Games: Giant killers Nyabondo dare rugby champs Kisii after flooring Maseno

Rugby
By Washington Onyango | Mar 11, 2025
Nyabondo High School rugby players go through the paces during the Kisumu County games on March 8, 2025. [Washington Onyango, Standard]

Newly crowned Kisumu County rugby 15s champions Nyabondo High School from Nyakach are leaving no stone unturned as they head to Migori County for the 2025 Nyanza Region Secondary School Term One games with their heads held high.

Nyabondo sent shock waves through Kisumu County schools when they knocked out multiple defending champions and hosts Maseno School in the semifinals of the rugby 15s.

A big 19-10 win over Maseno set the pace for Nyabondo to lift the title as they came from behind to stun favorites Otieno Oyoo High School 14-12 in the finals.

Carrying the burden of representing Kisumu at the regionals, Nyabondo coach Anthony Wendo said they are not scared of anyone and they are ready to go toe to toe with defending champions Kisii School in Group A.

Nyabondo will also face Gekano from Nyamira and hosts Rapogi Boys.

"It has been many years losing to Maseno but never giving up. Last year we were knocked out painfully due to some factors but this year we were prepared for anything.

"The games wont be easy per say but Nyabondo boys are riding high on their victory in Kisumu and that alone is motivation enough that we can beat the big boys," said Wendo.

Siaya County giants St Mary's Yala will headline Group B where they will face off against Kisii County's runners up Cardinal Otunga, Anjego and Homa Bay giants Agoro Sare High School.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS