Rugby league player dies three years on from horror incident

Rugby
By Mirror | Jun 29, 2020
Scott Bessant has died (Image: WALES NEWS SERVICE)

A popular Welsh rugby league player has died aged 37 three weeks on from a horror incident that left him unable to walk or talk.

Former Wales Dragonhearts full-back Bessant was found seriously hurt near a bridge in August 2017.

His family have confirmed complications with pneumonia contributed to his death on Thursday June 25.

A tribute on the Wales Rugby League website said: "For over 950 days, Scott’s parents, Howard and Jackie, didn’t missed a day in visiting their son, until everything went on lockdown.

"Scott was due to eventually live with his sister Rachael, whose home was in the process of being adapted for his complex needs.

"There was an initial scare in April when it was thought Scott had contracted COVID-19 but last week, he went down with pneumonia and sadly lost his battle on the morning of Thursday 25th June."

Bessant was left with multiple fractures to his skull, broken ribs, a fractured pelvis and neck and has had multiple strokes following the incident.

He had been drinking at the Little Crown pub in Abersychan before he was found by a passerby near a bridge on Pentwyn Lane.

Bessant was taken to hispital with a chest infection and high temperature in May but tested negative for coronavirus.

Due to the virus, his family - including his two children - were unable to see him.

His sister Sian Chere said in May: "It’s so hard for everyone at the moment not being able to see him and heartbreaking for his two children.”

Those with him on the night of the incident said Bessant was in a 'happy, joyful mood' and danced before he left after the pub closed.

Chere said previously: “We think he walked up the old line [a disused railway line] but as of yet because nobody has been able to confirm that we’re not sure.

“That was on his way home. It could take you about an hour to get to where he was. From the time he left the pub until 5am in the morning we don’t know where he was.

“All we know is that at 5am a member of the public who was going to work found him.”

Since he was hospitalised, numerous fundraisers have been held to help Bessant's family.

He played rugby union before signing for Pontypool in 2006 and won the first of his six Wales Dragonhearts rugby league caps in 2008.

Bessant was the top try scorer for Newport in the 2008 season and was given the chance to trial with then Super League side Celtic Crusaders in 2009 but was unable to attend due to illness.

He moved into coaching as a 30-year-old, taking charge of Newport and Torfaen Tigers, who he earlier also played for.

Bessant leaves behind parents Howard and Jackie, son Cailan, daughter Eloise, sisters Sian, Rachael and Naomi, brothers Gavin and Dwain, nephews Ryan and Oliver, brother in law Neil and future brother in law Owain.

Wales Rugby League added: "Everyone at Wales Rugby League sends their sincere condolences to Scott’s family and his multitude of friends."

 

Share this story
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS