Rugby: Kenya Cup League matches postponed due to covid-19 results

Rugby
By Ben Ahenda | Mar 20, 2021
Andrew Odera (with the ball) of Menengai Oilers battles with Kelvin Kabole of Top Fry Nakuru RFC during the Kenya Cup Match at Nakuru ASK grounds on March 13,2021.[Kipsang Joseph,Standard]

The Kenya Cup League match between leaders Menengai Oilers and Impala Saracens, which was to be played this afternoon at ASK Nakuru Showground has been postponed indefinitely.

It was put off after Impala players failed to receive their Covid 19 results in good time for the match forcing officials to cancel the match as it had not followed the laid down Ministry of Health guidelines.

Oilers Head Coach Gibson Weru confirmed the new development saying his charges had had their results certified by the relevant authorities and were ready to tackle their opponents on their way for top honours.

"But the cancellation was a set back to us as we were equally ready to tackle our opponents but it had to be cancelled as Impala could not avail their Covid-19 results as required by the health authorities," Weru told Standard Sports.

As for Oilers, he said they had received their Covid-19 results on the eve of the match.

"We had been ready for Impala as we had received our results on the eve of the epic encounter but we'll live to fight another day," Weru who is a former international scrum half said.

Impala head coach Mitch Ocholla confirmed the health authorities failed to release their Covid 19-tests-results as per the set guidelines forcing the team not to travel to Nakuru.

"The playing unit had gone for the Covid-19 tests within the set time frames but our predicament is that the results were not released within the set time guidelines," Ocholla told Standard Online.

Also to be cancelled on the same grounds was the match pitting Nondescripts against Strathmore Leo's that was to be hosted at Rugby Football Union of East Africa Grounds.

Sources indicated two of Nondescripts players had tested positive for the Coronavirus forcing the match to be cancelled at the eleventh hour.

Leos head coach Louis Kisia said his team was ready for the match as opposed to their opponents whose results have not been confirmed and certified by match officials.

Kisia said he is now focused on their next match against Kenya Harlequins to be played on Saturday at the same venue (RFUEA Grounds) in Nairobi.

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS