Oilers beef up squad as they prepare for Kenya Cup action
Rugby
By
Clement Wekulo
| Jan 06, 2020
Kenya Cup side Menengai Oilers has strengthened its squad by acquiring three players during the Kenya Rugby Union mid-season transfer window which shut at the weekend.
Oilers, who are sixth on the 12-team Kenya Cup standings with 24 points, have signed Kenyan international Dalmus Chituyi who officially joins them from Homeboyz having failed to seal the deal on time during last year’s window.
The Gibson Weru-coached side has also roped in Mark Kwemoi, from Impala Saracens, while experienced half-back Geoffrey Ominde has been signed from cross-town neighbours Nakuru RFC.
The duo could prove to be valuable additions for Weru since they can also feature in the Sevens game.
Weru said Chituyi, who won back-to-back Kenya Cup titles with Nakuru RFC in 2013 and 2014, is in contention to make his debut when Oilers host Mwamba in a Kenya Cup round 10 fixture on Saturday.
READ MORE
Ombudsman orders ministry to bin unlawful Sh30 SMS charge for Grade 10 placement results
How Kenya is now positioning itself as top sports destination
Zimbabwe cabinet agrees plan to extend president's term to 2030
EACC goes after Kaberia, Mwendwa over Sh330m in CHAN stadium scam
Relief as government plans tax cuts for low-income earners
Why Turkey climate summit must bring hope to agriculture sector
Infantino condemns Senegal for 'unacceptable scenes' in AFCON final
New regulations will unlock untapped potential of solar water heating
Why Africa should step up efforts to reduce methane emissions
Government lists 14 areas in Narok County as security-disturbed, dangerous
“His (Chituyi) transfer is now complete and he could be in the squad to face Mwamba if he does well in training. His leadership quality is the reason we brought him on board since he is someone with vast experience, something which we have been lacking,” said Weru.
With seven matches remaining in the regular season, Weru is optimistic his side, which earned promotion to the top tier in 2018, will make it to the playoffs at their second time of asking.
“I am glad to be part of such a competitive season because the difference between third and seventh is only 10 points. A few things have been working for us but we have to improve on our defence and set-pieces by ensuring that our line-out success rate is high. If we do that, then nothing will stop us from finishing in the top six,” he said.
Weru said the three-week break had given his side enough time to refresh as they seek to start the year on a high.
Meanwhile, league leaders Kabras Sugar were also active in the mini-transfer window, acquiring the services of Zimbabwean Royal Mwale as well as John Okoth, from Nakuru RFC.
Mwale, who has 25 caps for the Zimbabwe national 15s team, has previously featured for South African sides Wits University, Sharks and False Bay.
The 31-year-old can play in the hooker and prop positions.
Both Mwale and Okoth are in line to debut for the sugar milling team when they return to action against Nakuru RFC this coming weekend.