Amonde calls for support as coach unveils his squad
Rugby
By
Clement Wekulo
| Nov 02, 2019
Kenya Sevens forward Andrew Amonde has urged the government to support the team as they head to Johannesburg, South Africa for next weekend’s Africa Sevens-cum-2020 Olympic qualifiers.
National rugby teams have experienced financial difficulties in recent times due to lack of stable sponsorship.
Amonde, who will captain Shujaa at the two-day continental showpiece, was speaking at the Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) headquarters yesterday after the squad for the Africa Sevens was announced by head coach Paul Feeney.
“We are calling on different stakeholders especially the Ministry of Sports to support our team because it is very difficult to perform without getting the necessary support.
READ MORE
How Kenya is now positioning itself as top sports destination
Zimbabwe cabinet agrees plan to extend president's term to 2030
EACC goes after Kaberia, Mwendwa over Sh330m in CHAN stadium scam
Relief as government plans tax cuts for low-income earners
Why Turkey climate summit must bring hope to agriculture sector
Infantino condemns Senegal for 'unacceptable scenes' in AFCON final
New regulations will unlock untapped potential of solar water heating
Why Africa should step up efforts to reduce methane emissions
Government lists 14 areas in Narok County as security-disturbed, dangerous
Ruto's Sh5 trillion promise: Path to economic freedom or political stunt?
"This is something that is very important to us before we start the World Sevens Series,” said Amonde, whose sentiments were echoed by KRU Vice Chairman Thomas Opiyo.
The KCB man further assured the team is raring to go and they will be out to wrestle the Africa Sevens title from Zimbabwe who beat them last year.
The winner of the 14-team tournament will qualify directly for the 2020 Olympic Games which will be held in Tokyo, Japan while the second and third-place finishers will be handed a lifeline by participating in a repechage competition alongside teams from other regions.
“Everyone has done their part as far as preparation is concerned and we are looking forward to the tournament.
“It is something we have been working hard for and we can assure that we are ready to qualify for the Olympic Games. We know the challenge that lies ahead and we shall face it as a team,” Amonde said.
Shujaa, who have been boosted by the return of Mwamba RFC’s Billy Odhiambo, will launch their quest against Ivory Coast.
Africa Sevens has adopted a new format which will see the 14 teams battle in knock out fixtures with the seven winners, together with one best loser, advancing to two pools of four teams each.
The top two in the pools will then proceed to the semi finals.
Odhiambo makes a comeback to the Shujaa set up after a lengthy spell out which saw him miss the entire 2018-19 World Sevens Series.
The team will however have to do without all-time leading try scorer Collins Injera who, despite resuming training, has not been passed fit after sustaining a shoulder injury.