EACC halts auction of Sh300 million public land in Nakuru

Rift Valley
By Julius Chepkwony | Aug 21, 2024

EACC officials inspecting a half-acre piece of land valued at over Sh100 million, which they recovered from a private developer in Nakuru Central Business District on March 15, 2024. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

The anti-graft agency Wednesday stopped the auction of prime public land that was allegedly grabbed by a private developer in Nakuru county.

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) South Rift regional manager Ignatius Wekesa said the land in question belonged to the Agricultural Training Centre (ATC).

He said that a private company was claiming ownership of the property.

Wekesa told journalists that the land had been advertised for auction in the local dailies by Dalali Auctioneers.

The auctioneers had issued a notice of the auction to be conducted publicly on August 23, 2024.

Wekesa said the land was part of 165 acres of ATC land worth over Sh10 billion.

He revealed that at least 50 individuals have grabbed part of the land and the matter is under investigation by the commission for recovery.

"The land is situated in a prime area where each acre is approximated to cost Sh80 million. Some of the grabbers have taken bank loans using the grabbed public property as security," said Wekesa.

EACC cautioned the public against participating in the planned auction saying they risk being conned since no person can claim ownership and sell public land.

"Therefore, any person purchasing this land risks losing it to the Government when the ongoing investigations and court process is finally completed," he said.

Wekesa revealed that the commission is also investigating other cases of alleged embezzlement of public funds at Maasai Mara University and procurement fraud at Njoro NG-CDF.

The commission commended Nakuru residents and the local Non-Governmental Organisations for providing it with valuable reports.

"On land grabbing, any grabber pretending to claim ownership of public land in this area is encouraged to consider voluntary surrender of the grabbed property to EACC without waiting for costly litigation which will still see them forfeit the grabbed property," he said.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS