Court summons CS Wahome over land for victims of post-poll chaos

Rift Valley
By Julius Chepkwony | Mar 04, 2024
A convoy of Internally Displaced Persons along Kiserian -Mukutani road returning to Mkutani village in Baringo South. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

The High Court in Nakuru has summoned Lands Cabinet Secretary Alice Wahome in a case between beneficiaries of the estate of Benjamin Njoroge and the government.

At the centre of the controversy is a 755-acre land bought to resettle families displaced by the 2007/08 post-election violence.

The CS is expected to appear in court with the title deed of the land on March 21.

The extension of the summons followed a request by lawyer Steve Biko, who said the CS had traced the file but was still tracing the title deed.

During the mention of the case last week, the Attorney General was absent in court despite claims they had been served.

Lawyer Amos Andama, representing the post-election violence victims, raised concern over the failure of the Attorney General to participate in the case.

Andama noted that the AG does not ordinarily appear, adding that he was not sure whether it was an issue of service.

He noted that there were over 400 displaced persons settled on the land, and it is important if the AG participates in the case.

The state, under the resettlement programme for victims of violence, bought the land from Njoroge's (deceased) family in 2011.

But eight sisters, their sister-in-law, and a niece said to be beneficiaries of Njoroge's estate want the families evicted. They moved to court to contest the sale of the land to the government by their brother, Philip Kamau Njoroge.

They claimed Njoroge did not consult them when initiating and executing the sale agreement and were shocked to receive a letter dated August 8, 2011, from the law firm of Rachier and Amollo Advocates claiming that the firm had received instructions from their brother to sell Ndonga Farm and distribute the proceeds to heirs of the deceased.

They filed a case at the Environment and Lands Court in Nakuru, claiming the actions of their brother and the government violated their fundamental rights and freedom.

The petition was dismissed on May 26, 2022, as the court noted it never met the threshold of a constitutional petition.

They were, however, granted leave to institute a civil claim by way of a plaint within six months of the judgment.

The sisters filed another suit on July 17, 2022, seeking orders that the original title deed be surrendered. They also want their brother removed as an administrator.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS