Court mediates 25,000-acre land row pitting squatters, Too family

Rift Valley
By Lynn Kolongei | Jun 17, 2022
Sirikwa group squatters with police officers during subdivision of the disputed 24,000 acres of land perceived to belong to the late Mark Too at Eldoret International Airport in Uasin Gishu County on May 26, 2022. [Christopher Kipsang, Standard]

The Court of Appeal in Eldoret has directed that the status quo be maintained in the disputed 25,000 acres of land in Kapseret, claimed by former MP Mark Too’s family and Sirikwa squatters group.

Appellate judges Patrick Kiage, Kathurima M’inoti and Mumbi Ngugi granted stay orders preventing both parties from interfering with the disputed land until a pending appeal is heard and determined.

Fanikiwa Limited owned by Too had filed an application for a stay after the Environment and Land Court reinstated its earlier orders, directing the police to provide security to surveyors and officials of the Sirikwa squatters group to survey the land situated near Eldoret International Airport.

In the order by Justice Elijah Obaga, surveyors were to set up beacons and map out public utilities from the disputed land.

Public institutions in the contested farm include the Eldoret International Airport, Moi University, public primary and secondary schools and public roads.

The appellate judges noted that through a miscellaneous application filed by the squatters group last year, an order for the survey had been granted to the Squatters when an appeal on the case was still pending in court and judgment is to be delivered on July 22.

“For the avoidance of doubt, that status quo means, that neither party shall interfere with the said property physically nor shall there be any transfer or disposal of the said property to the detriment of any party pending the said determination,” directed the appellate judges.

Since last month, over 1,000 members of the Sirikwa Squatters Group have clashed with the police over the court order on a survey of the land. They had moved to the land and began erecting structures.

The squatters have been embroiled in a land ownership tussle with the family of the former MP since 2007.

They moved to court in 2007 and sued various government departments, Lonrho Agribusiness East Africa Company, Mark Too, David Korir and others for allegedly grabbing their land. A decade later, in 2017, the Lands Court ruled in favour of the squatters, but their celebration was short-lived after Mr Too appealed the court’s decision.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS