Revealed: Man United CEO 'had Government assurances' over Super League plans

Premier League
By Mirror | Apr 26, 2021
Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward  [Reuters/Jason Cairnduff]

Manchester United chief Ed Woodward was informed the Government would not act to prevent the establishment of the European Super League (ESL) during a meeting last week.

That's according to the Sunday Times, which reports Downing Street Chief of Staff Dan Rosenfield told Woodward this without consulting Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

United Executive Vice-Chairman Woodward is known to have visited Downing Street only days before the announcement of the ill-fated and hugely unpopular ESL.

No.10 has since insisted the breakaway competition was not brought up at the meeting, which they claim was merely to discuss the return of fans to stadiums and Covid certification.

But the report claims Woodward felt Rosenfield - a United fan - had given him assurances to proceed and he therefore told other ESL architects he had received the green light.

It adds Woodward's conversations took place on the night of Saturday 17 April, prompting the final decision for 12 so-called Founding Clubs - including the Premier League's 'Big Six' - to unveil the ESL the following day.

Manchester United's Old Trafford Stadium (AP Photo/Jon Super)

Woodward has since denied this, while the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) - and Johnson himself - later railed against the ESL proposals once they were announced.

Rosenfield is then believed to have intervened in a bid to tone down the Government's resounding opposition to the plans, which were met with widespread fan protests at stadiums up and down the country.

The Downing Street chief sent emails to this end, the Sunday Times adds, including one to DCMS Secretary of State Oliver Dowden asking him to make his statement less vehement in its stance.

The department is understood to have denied these claims, while Johnson is said to have always opposed ESL plans and requested his stance be made clear to the project's ringleaders.

Meanwhile, Woodward announced he will retire at the end of the year as United confirmed their withdrawal from the ESL on Tuesday.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS