Guardiola gives Aguero his transfer blessing to join Man City rivals

Premier League
By Mirror | Apr 11, 2021
Manchester City's Argentinian striker Sergio Aguero reacts as he talks with Manchester City's Spanish manager Pep Guardiola whilst waiting to be substituted on for Manchester City's German midfielder Ilkay Gundogan (unseen) during the English Premier League football match between Manchester City and Manchester United at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, north west England, on April 7, 2018. [Courtesy]

Pep Guardiola has given Sergio Aguero his blessing to join any of Manchester City's Premier League rivals, saying he will be "delighted" with whatever decision he makes.

Man City announced last month that this will be the Argentine's final season at the Etihad after a decade of service.

Aguero is yet to comment on his plans beyond this campaign, but he has already been inundated with enquiries from other clubs.

Barcelona and Aguero's former club Independiente are leading the charge, but the forward is also the subject of interest from Premier League sides including Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Selling Aguero to a Premier League rival could potentially come back to haunt Guardiola and City.

But the Citizens boss says this wouldn't change his opinion of Aguero and that he'll be happy for him wherever he decides to go.

Guardiola said: "The best for him, we wish – all of us. Find the best for Sergio for the last years in his career, for sure. We'll be delighted with the decision he takes, the best for him and his family and his career.

"My preference is his preference. His preference is my preference. The best for him is the best for us."

City made the Aguero announcement while the striker was battling with injuries, but the Argentine is now back in first-team contention after returning to fitness.

On whether Man City acted too rashly and should have waited to see what impact Aguero would have from now until the end of the season before deciding to axe him, Aguero added: "Everything can happen.

"I'm sorry, I'm not a person who can see far away for more than one week. In football, I learned from my period as a player and a manager that everything can change quickly in a positive way or not a positive way.

"Everyone must be ready and hopefully Sergio can be ready quick [following a long injury layoff].

"Sergio is a lovely person with specific qualities and skills. I understand him, I know him and I understand he needs time to get in the best condition.

"I said last week after we announced [his departure] the way he trained, and in the Leicester game [2-0 win], which was so difficult because they defend so deep and so tight, for the strikers it is not easy, he moved well and helped us.

"He felt something in his leg [so] he was substituted. He is doing better."

Share this story
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS