Coronavirus: KPL postponed

Premier League
By Waweru Titus | Mar 14, 2020
A Gor Mahia supporter wearing a mask as he joins other supporters along City Hall way on Sunday, March 8 before their team played against AFC Leopards in a match dabbed 'Mashemeji Derby' at the Kasarani Stadium. [Collins Kweyu, Standard]

The Kenya Premier League (KPL) has postponed the next two rounds of matches over coronavirus that has continued to wreak havoc in the sporting world.

CEO Jack Oguda said on Saturday matches will resume April 4, 2020. The decision comes a day after the first Kenyan was reported on Friday to have contracted the deadly Covid-19.

“Following confirmation from the Government on Thursday of the first coronavirus disease (Covid-19) case in the country, Kenya Premier League [KPL] has postponed the next two rounds of league matches.

“This measure is line with the directives from the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Interior & Coordination of National Government suspending all public gatherings, meetings, religious crusades, and games,” said Oguda.

“In the interim, KPL will monitor the situation based on the regular updates from the Ministry of Health and advise if league matches can resume on April 4, 2020,” Oguda pointed out.

AFC Leopards fans cheer their team against Gor Mahia FC during their Kenyan Premier League match on March 08, 2020. [Stafford Ondego, Standard]

The Government said on Saturday the 27-year-old woman who tested positive for coronavirus is in stable condition.

Addressing journalists at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) on Saturday, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the ministry traced all persons who were in contact with the patient from US via London and quarantined them.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) on Friday suspended FKF Branch Leagues, National Division One League, National Division Two League, FKF grass-root sanctioned tournaments and academy competitions.

The football governing body in the country said it is actively monitoring the development of the deadly virus in Kenya and beyond and continues to liaise with the Kenyan Government, CAF, and FIFA in the execution of both the domestic and international football matches.

KPL CEO Jack Oguda at a past press conference. [Dennis Okeyo, Standard]

World Health Organization (WHO) declared Covid-19 a global pandemic earlier this week, with the virus leading to the suspension of major sporting events around the world.

Kenyan football fans will now feel the effect following the suspension of local league matches, European competitions such as the Champions League, Europa League, and the top five European leagues that keep them glued to their TV sets every week.

According to official numbers as of Saturday (14/03/2020), there are currently 155,249 coronavirus cases in the world with 5,812 succumbing to the deadly virus. 74,262 have recovered from Covid-19.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS