Referee told Maguire Man United deserved a penalty before opting not to give it – Shaw

Premier League
By Mirror | Mar 01, 2021
Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Manchester United - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 28, 2021 Referee Stuart Attwell watches an incident of the pitchside VAR monitor [Pool via REUTERS/Andy Rain]

Luke Shaw claims referee Stuart Attwell told Harry Maguire Manchester United deserved a penalty before opting not to give it.

The decision proved to be decisive as the Red Devils draw 0-0 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Callum Hudson-Odoi appeared to handle the ball in the box as he and Mason Greenwood battled for possession.

VAR advised Attwell to visit the screen before making a decision on whether or not to point to the spot.

He is alleged to have told United's skipper that a penalty was going to be awarded, but he knew it was going to cause a stir.

Shaw said: "I think at the time I saw a handball. I didn't know if was Mason or Callum. Didn't even know there was a potential check.

"I don't know why they stopped it if it's not going to be a pen.

Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Manchester United - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 28, 2021 Referee Stuart Attwell speaks to Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes [Pool via REUTERS/Andy Rain]

"The ref even said to H [Harry Maguire] if it's a pen then it's going to cause a lot of talk about it after.

"So I don't know what happened there. H got told it was a pen. I'm not sure.

"I don't understand. If it's going to stop you think it's going to be a pen because we had the ball, we were attacking.

"I'm not going to moan about it because I don't think either team did enough to win."

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer claimed it was "100 per cent" a penalty.

Although he stopped short of revealing what Attwell had told his players insisting he "doesn't want to cause controversy" - but Shaw had already made it clear.

Blues boss Thomas Tuchel claimed it was a "high quality game" but felt as if Greenwood was the man who handled the ball - not Hudson-Odoi.

 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS