Former Premier League striker shot outside his home

Premier League
By Mirror | Jan 08, 2020
Darko Kovacevic celebrates after scoring for Juventus. [Courtesy]

Former Sheffield Wednesday forward Darko Kovacevic has cheated death after being shot outside his home in Athens.

The retired Serbian international was attacked by two men who ambushed him as he went to park his car.

One assailant fired a shot at the 46-year-old. He was taken to hospital for wrist and knee injuries after reportedly hurting himself as he fell to the ground to dodge the bullet.

The getaway vehicle the criminals fled in, a Smart car, was found burnt out near the scene of the attack in the neighbourhood of Glyfada to the south of Athens city centre.

Kovacevic, who managed only four goals in his half-season at Sheffield Wednesday in 1996 before going on to make a name for himself at Spanish side Real Sociedad, told local press after being released from hospital: “I saw a man getting out of a car with a gun in his hand and coming towards me.
 

Real Sociedad's Darko Kovacevic in action. [Courtesy]

Real Sociedad, where Kovacevic regained his reputation as one of Europe’s best players after his poor showing at Sheffield Wednesday, were among the clubs offering the striker their support on Wednesday.

The La Liga side published a message on its Twitter which said: “We are hearing worrying news from Athens. Darko, we wish you a swift recovery.”

It was not immediately clear why Kovacevic had been targeted.

Darko Kovacevic became director at the Serbian FA. [Courtesy]


Local reports said the getaway car belonged to a man from Messinia in the southwestern part of Greece’s Peloponnese region and had not been reported as stolen.

No arrests are thought to have taken place.

Kovacevic represented Yugoslavia at the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000.

Darko Kovacevic playing against Wales. [Courtesy]

He signed for Sheffield Wednesday from Red Star Belgrade. He enjoyed two spells for Real Sociedad after time in Italy with Juventus and Lazio.

He retired from football in May 2009 while at Greek side Olympiakos after being diagnosed with a blocked artery and undergoing heart surgery.

 

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS