Lawmakers decry neglect of northern Kenya

Politics
By Edwin Nyarangi | Apr 10, 2024
When a group of Members of Parliament from the Northern Kenya counties addressed the media over what they termed as neglect by the National government in 2015. [File, Standard]

Northern Kenya lawmakers have claimed that there is nothing to show in the region since independence despite the counties having been allocated of billions of shillings since the advent of devolution.

Garissa, Mandera, Wajir, Isiolo and Marsabit counties have received funds which if they could have been put to good use would have turned around the lives of residents.

Northern Kenya Members of Parliament who addressed Journalists at Parliament Buildings, Nairobi, yesterday, expressed concern over the dilapidated road network saying the few good roads having been damaged by floods.

Wajir South MP Mohammed Adow claimed that the national and county government have failed to prioritise development in the region.

"The Northern region has been forgotten since independence since the national and county Governments have not prioritized development projects that will have a positive impact on the local residents who have continued to face challenges over the years," said Adow.

The legislator said construction of Isiolo-Mandera Road which had been allocated Sh260 billion by the World Bank is yet to kick off five years later despite having the potential to open up the region to development.

Tarbaj MP Hussein Bare regretted that residents struggle to access basic services like good medical care, sufficient food supply and efficient communication systems.

Bare said the residents are tired of empty development promises and now demand attention from the national and county governments.

"The people of Northern Kenya deserve good services just like their counterparts in other parts of the country, we should not be speaking of basic things like roads, health centres and sufficient food for our people 60 years after independence, that shows negligence by our government," he said.

Wajir West MP Mohammed Daud said that most parts of the region have been cut off from the rest of the country due to the ongoing heavy rains and the government needs to utilise disaster funds to ensure residents get assistance.

Daud called on the government and other stakeholders to initiate investments in the region to empower residents.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS