Over 200 arrested as police block former Mungiki leader's meeting

Politics
By Purity Mwangi | Jan 01, 2024
Suspected Maina Njenga supporters at Central Police Station in Nyeri after arrest. [David Muthoka, Standard]

Police arrested more than 200 people in Nyeri town, yesterday after they blocked the planned meeting by former Mungiki leader Maina Njenga.

The officers mounted roadblocks and conducted searches on vehicles in the town.

This comes after Nyeri County Police Commander Benjamin Rotich said the meeting was illegal and no one had requested a permit for the rally.

Njenga had vowed to hold an end-of-year thanksgiving meeting at Kabiru-ini showgrounds where youths and Mt Kenya leaders were expected to announce their regional Kingpin.

Tension was high as most businesses remained closed and police in anti-riot gear patrolled the town in trucks.

The showground gates remained closed as armed police officers patrolled the area and refused to allow anyone into the facility.

Earlier, about 20 youths assembled in the central business district in a bid to address a press briefing to protest police harassment but were dispersed by police.

Rotich said that the 200 youths suspected to have been ferried to Nyeri for the meeting were arrested during the crackdown on the former Mungiki leader's supporters.

"Police are on a high alert to enhance security and they are not leaving anything to chance, we shall not allow any security threat or illegal meeting," he said.

He assured the public that security had been beefed up and warned them against engaging in criminal activities.

The county commander said that churches that will conduct overnight prayers on New Year's Eve must follow laid down restrictions.

He directed entertainment joints to observe operating hours as required by liquor licenses.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS