Wetangula confirms Mark Mwenje as Deputy Minority Whip ending tussle

Politics
By David Njaaga | Oct 25, 2023
Nominated MP Sabina Chege and Embakasi West MP Mark Mwenje

Embakasi West MP Mark Mwenje now replaces Nominated MP Sabina Chege as the Deputy Minority Whip in the National Assembly, Speaker Moses Wetangula has ruled.

Chege will henceforth become the Whip of Jubilee Party, after the Speaker recognised Jubilee as an independent party in Parliament.

The Speaker's move comes after opposition MPs threatened to paralyse business next week if he does not effect changes in the minority leadership.

National Assembly Minority Leader Opiyo Wandayi had accused Wetangula of taking them in circles over a decision to have Sabina Chege removed as the Deputy Minority Whip.

"Despite a court ruling last week dismissing the earlier case lodged against the changes, the Speaker has failed to implement the ruling," said Wandayi.

He added that on October 11, Mark Mwenje, the designated Deputy Minority Whip, brought the ruling to the attention of the Speaker, who said he needed to see it first before acting on it.

Chege was dewhipped as the minority leader on May 30, and Mwenje named to take over her position.

She was ejected by the Azimio Parliamentary Group, after shifting allegiance to Kenya Kwanza.

Police deployment to Haiti

Meanwhile, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki has sought the approval of the National Assembly to deploy 1,000 police officers to Haiti as part of a UN-approved peacekeeping mission.

However, his move has been challenged by two separate petitions in court, which have obtained orders blocking the deployment until further notice.

Speaker Wetangula on Wednesday, October 25 directed the committee on Administration and Internal Affairs to consider the memorandum from Kindiki and report to the House on or before November 8.

This comes after Justice Chacha Mwita extended an order yesterday barring the government from sending police officers to Haiti, pending the determination of a petition filed by Thirdway Alliance Party Leader Ekuru Aukot.

Dr Aukot argued that Kenya's bid to lead the force to Haiti is "a gross violation of the Constitution", which requires parliamentary approval for such a decision.
He obtained temporary orders on October 18, stopping the deployment until the petition is determined.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS