Reconsider move to decommission Suneka airstrip, Bonchari MP pleads with Ruto

Politics
By Edwin Nyarangi | Aug 23, 2023
A contractor working on the expansion of Suneka Airstrip. [Eric Abuga, Standard]

Bonchari MP Charles Onchoke has appealed to President William Ruto to reconsider the decommissioning of Suneka Airstrip in Kisii County by the government.

Onchoke who spoke to Journalists at Parliament buildings in Nairobi today said the government had spent millions of shillings in renovating the airstrip in the last ten years and that it was ill advised to have the facility closed down.

The government has announced plans to decommission the airstrip despite calls from leaders to have it rehabilitated to enable cargo and passenger airlines ply the region.

Five years ago, the airstrip received its first phase of upgrading worth Sh52 million and involved construction of a perimeter wall, parking, an administration block and a passenger lounge.

Last year, the government was to expand the airstrip runway as part of Sh132 million rehabilitation plan to accommodate bigger airplanes.

The Kenya Airports Authority wanted the runway expanded from current 950 metres to 1.045 kilometres.

But while attending a church service in Nyaribari Masaba Kisii last Sunday, President Ruto announced that the airstrip was set for decommissioning.

He said there was not enough land to allow KAA expand the existing airstrip, hence the need to find an alternative land in the area.

"I request leaders from Kisii and Nyamira to handle this matter urgenly. I am decommissioning Suneka Airstrip to give room for our leaders to find an alternative land where the government will put up an airport," he said.

Onchoke, who is the area MP said taking away the airstrip will be a slap on the face on his constituents because the facility has served the people of Kisii County for many years and only required to be refurbished to the required standards.

"The people of Bonchari are appealing to President William Ruto to reconsider the government intended decommissioning of Suneka Airstrip in Kisii since the project has spent millions of taxpayers money over the years and only required refurbishment to continue serving the area residents," said Onchoke.

Ruto also said that it will also not be viable to have an airstrip constructed at Kiendege area in Nyamira County following the recommendation of experts after elected leaders from Nyamira County appealed for the government to speed up the process to have the project up and running.

"It is now upon the leaders of Kisii and Nyamira County to come up with alternative land that can be used by the government to construct an Airstrip since we are decommissioning Suneka Airstrip and Kiendege is not viable for construction of one," said Ruto.

During the event, Kisii Governor Simba Arati requested the President to construct an airport at Nyangusu area which lies on the border of Kisii and Narok Counties

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS