Raila insists peaceful mass action to continue as planned
Politics
By
David Njaaga
| Mar 26, 2023
Azimio la Umoja One-Kenya leader Raila Odinga has maintained that peaceful mass action will proceed as planned tomorrow.
Speaking on Sunday, March 26, 2023, during a church service at Jesus Teaching Ministry in Embakasi South, Odinga dismissed claims by Inspector-General of Police Japhet Koome declaring the protests illegal.
He stated that Azimio served the police with the mass action notice in time.
"The police were served with our protest notice in time and in accordance with the law. We intend to hold peaceful protests. Police Inspector-General Japhet Koome should stop issuing threats and instead he should let the police protect us. I'll be among those protesting tomorrow; instead of sending police to arrest me, come arrest me yourself," said Odinga.
Odinga's remarks follow Koome's declaration on Sunday that Azimio protests are illegal.
READ MORE
Ombudsman orders ministry to bin unlawful Sh30 SMS charge for Grade 10 placement results
DR Congo, M23 fighters trade accusations over ceasefire
Why Sudi has only opened his mouth in Parliament to yawn or drink water
Zanzibar launches $12 million heritage restoration drive with private partner
How Kenya is now positioning itself as top sports destination
Electric tuk-tuk promises Sh200 daily fuel savings for operators
Judge recuses herself in Sh3 billion Kenya Breweries commercial dispute
Ruto, First lady Rachel in Addis for AU Assembly
Angola proposes new DR Congo ceasefire
Nairobi cements role as China's regional hub as 'Year of the Horse' begins
Koome warned that anyone found breaking the law, regardless of social status, would face severe consequences.
"The demonstrations still remain illegal. The police will deal with anyone found with weapons to cause chaos tomorrow. Political issues should be handled through the appropriate political channels. The majority of these politicians have lived their full lives and are out to destroy the future of the youth," Koome said.
"The police will protect lives and property of all Kenya and anyone found breaching law will be dealt with regardless of their status in the society,"
On his part, Odinga termed Koome's threats as baseless vowing to continue pushing for better leadership by calling out bad leaders.
"We will not have a country if we do not fight against bad governance. We are not looking to cause anarchy in the country; we are fighting for our rights and we have the right to tell Kenyans the truth," Odinga added.
Odinga led the first mass action against the high cost of living last week, where a Maseno University student was killed and more than 200 people arrested in nationwide protests.
At least four lawmakers were among those arrested during the protests, including the leaders of Odinga's faction in both houses of parliament.
Odinga has since announced that he will be staging anti-government protests twice a week, beginning Monday, March 26.