Jubilee's party comeback bid rattles Gachagua, opposition

Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua,during an interview with KTN at his Karen Residence on April 7, 2025. [Benard Orwongo, Standard]

The Jubilee Party's plans to make a big comeback on the political stage ahead of the 2027 General Election have stirred unease within the opposition.

Although Jubilee has never formally declared itself part of the United Opposition alliance -and has previously signalled an intention to field its own presidential candidate-its Special Delegates Conference held on Friday has reopened old political wounds and provoked fresh speculations.

The party, led by former President Uhuru Kenyatta, maintains that it is not bound by regional, ethnic, or temporal affiliations, positioning itself instead as a national party that transcends political cycles and divisions.

Jubilee Secretary-General Jeremiah Kioni reiterated this sentiment, saying the party is "beyond seasons".

"The red we wear is not a colour of the moment. It is a colour of resilience, a mark of unity, and a sign of strength. Red does not fade, and neither does Jubilee," Kioni said last week.

However, fresh allegations have emerged suggesting that Jubilee is acting as a 'secret agent' for President William Ruto, allegedly aiming to split the Mt Kenya vote.

The presence of former Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i at the delegates' conference further fuelled speculation about whether he is still aligned with the United Opposition, despite his involvement in several past strategy meetings with opposition leaders.

Jubilee has also been accused of being part of a wider, well-coordinated plan to fragment the opposition to the President's advantage and to the disadvantage of the Democracy for Citizens Party (DCP) led by former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua.

On Sunday, Gachagua sought to allay fears about the stability of the United Opposition, insisting that the coalition remains intact.

He alleged that President Ruto had made overtures to Wiper Party leader Kalonzo Musyoka to abandon the opposition, but dismissed the attempt as futile.

"Do not be worried-Wiper, DCP, Democratic Action Party of Kenya (DAP-K), People's Liberation Party-we are one family. No one will break the opposition; we will agree on one presidential candidate," Gachagua said during a church service in Kajiado on Sunday.

Last week, DCP Deputy Party Leader Cleophas Malala accused Jubilee of attempting to undercut Gachagua's influence in the Mt Kenya region.

"That party must be warned-if you are part of the United Opposition, do not come to divide the DCP stronghold. Now that you've come bearing a red wheelbarrow, know that your intentions are not in good faith towards our party leader," Malala said.

Murang'a Senator Joe Nyutu called on opposition leaders to maintain unity.

"It is imperative that our principals stay together, given the immense task ahead. You have a responsibility to save Kenya," he said.

Kathiani MP Robert Mbui echoed the call for cohesion, warning against internal sabotage.

"Sometimes friendly fire can be deadly. We must remain united," Mbui said in Kajiado.

"There are forces determined to infiltrate and divide Mt Kenya. No matter how you repaint a wheelbarrow, it remains a wheelbarrow. The yellow one has been rejected; now they've changed its colour. But we're not boarding any wheelbarrow. In 2027, we'll stand by our own leaders."

Gachagua also used the occasion to urge the youth to register as voters, as IEBC resumes continuous voter registration today. He framed it as a critical step towards removing Ruto from power.

"I apologise to Kenyans for having asked them to vote for Ruto, who has failed to deliver on the promises we made. That is why I'm urging citizens-especially the youth-to register as voters and exercise their democratic right to vote out this regime," said Gachagua.

Kalonzo, also present at the service, urged the IEBC to release a clear and transparent roadmap for the voter registration exercise.

"We've heard Ruto talk about democracy at the United Nations-mentioning Haiti, Sudan, Israel, and Palestine-yet at home, his government is killing innocent youth and stifling democracy," Kalonzo said.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS