Gachagua: Activist Rose Njeri's arrest shows state silencing GenZ voices

Politics
By David Njaaga | Jun 02, 2025
Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua. [File, Standard]

Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has accused the government of targeting young people, saying the arrest of software developer Rose Njeri over a tool opposing the Finance Bill 2025 was an attempt to crush civic expression.

Njeri, a software developer in Nairobi, built a digital platform allowing citizens to submit objections to the proposed Finance Bill.

The site was taken offline last week, and Njeri was reportedly taken into custody by plainclothes officers.

She remains in custody at Pangani Police Station, where she is expected to be arraigned in court on Tuesday, June 4.

"This government has learnt nothing from the GenZ protests," said Gachagua in a post on social media.

"Rather than embrace dialogue, it is using fear and intimidation to silence those who speak up," he added on Monday, June 2.

Gachagua said Njeri's innovation should have been celebrated, not punished.

"She built a tool to help Kenyans engage their leaders peacefully, yet the state responded with repression," noted Gachagua.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen recently proposed criminalising what he called "fake abductions," sparking concern from activists and opposition figures who said the move could be used to discredit and prosecute victims of state-enforced disappearances.

Gachagua questioned the government's motives.

"Who decides what is fake when the same administration dismissed abductions as hoaxes, only to admit the truth under pressure?" he added.

The Finance Bill 2025 has sparked growing online resistance, with youth-led movements calling it punitive and out of touch.

Last year's demonstrations against the Finance Bill 2024 drew thousands of young protesters across major towns, leading to dozens of arrests.

Gachagua called on the public to speak up against what he described as a dangerous slide toward authoritarianism.

"We must defend the right to protest and speak without fear. Today it is Rose, tomorrow it could be any one of us," noted Gachagua.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS