Six athletes off to Bristol, Yego left behind

By GILBERT WANDERA AND ERIC OCHIENG’

The first batch of athletes travelling to Bristol City pre-season Olympic camp left on Tuesday night, but one man is worried after he was left behind.

Julius Yego, the All Africa Games champion, did not board the plane on Tuesday night to Bristol for the three-week camp as he was not accredited.

Now he has to apply for a visa from the British Embassy before he can travel to Bristol.

The British Government has exempted all athletes travelling tothe games from acquiring a visa and all they need is accreditation. A worried Yego said yesterday he does not understand why his accreditation had not been approved yet.

“I have in my possession an accreditation card but it cannot allow me to travel to Britain. I have been informed by the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock) that I will need to get a visa.

“I am a bit nervous by the development because I was all set to train in Bristol as soon as possible,” he said.

Nock Secretary General FK Paul blamed the delay in issuing Yego’s accreditation on Athletics Kenya who gave his details late.

“The deadline for submitting details of athletes traveling to London was in March and we informed all associations as much. It is their fault but all is not lost, as Yego will still get his visa.

“We have an arrangement with the British Embassy to fast-track issuance of visas to those going to London and he should be sorted out in a couple of days,” said Paul.

Despite the hitch, Yego who made history by winning the All African Games title last year in Maputo remains focused on reaching the finals in London.
“It is a big challenge to take part in the Olympics especially for me as this my first time.

“Despite this I am focused on at least a final place,” he said.

Yego recorded an impressive 77.6m throw during the national championships in Kasarani three weeks ago.
He trained in Finland for three weeks courtesy of a sponsorship he received from the IAAF.

Those who went to Bristol include: Maureen Jelagat and Vincent Kosgei (400m hurdles), Joyce Zakari (400m), Benson Gicharu and Elizabeth Andiego (boxing) and Mercy Obiero (weightlifting).

Jelagat, who will be making her debut at the Olympics, will switch to 800m after the games.

Jelagat won’t talk about medals just yet bur her main aim was to improve on her personal best time.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS