Reprieve for Migori residents as neglected dispensaries set to re-open

Nyanza
By Anne Atieno | Aug 19, 2024
Residents in Ore area, Wasimbete Ward in Suna West Sub-County, Migori County have raised concern over a health facility in the area which is yet to be operationalized a decade after its completion. Ever since Ore dispensary was completed, it has never been operationalized, hence forcing residents to seek for health services in far-flung areas. [File, Standard]

Migori County government has set out plans to operationalise 16 dispensaries across the county.

The facilities are part of 30 dispensaries that had remained closed despite their completion a decade ago.

Caleb Opondi, CEC Health who was recently moved from the Environment docket promised that the 16 facilities will open door soon.

According to the official, delays in operationalising the dispensaries have forced residents to look for healthcare services in far-flung areas.

Opondi said most of the dispensaries were in a bad state and Governor Ochilo Ayacko's administration was forced to conduct a facelift in some of them.

He said they would also ensure that enough healthcare workers are available at the dispensaries for residents to get quality services.

"Residents getting quality healthcare services is part of the governor's manifesto and we are doing everything possible to achieve that," said Opondi.

Concerns have in the past been raised regarding the status of the neglected 30 dispensaries.

"We have been walking long distances to access healthcare services," said David Oketch, a resident in Suna West.

Residents who were digging deep into their pockets in search for health services are now hopeful that the operationalisation of the facilities will help ease their burden of having to travel long distances.

"Women in labour have had to endure long distances on rough roads to reach to health centres. The dispensaries when opened will given such women easy time," Martha Auma, a resident of Nyatike said.

In some areas, residents had been forced to part with as much as Sh200 to get to the nearest health centre.

The residents said they hoped the facilities would start operating and lessen their burden while seeking healthcare far away.

Some of the facilities had become home to weeds, urchins and bats.

A few weeks ago, Governor Ayacko during a morning radio talk show, said his administration inherited several health facilities that were mismanaged.

Share this story
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
Thunder plot Equity Bank raid as Premier League tips off
The bankers will take on ANU Wolfpacks in their second encounter on Sunday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS