Move to enrol Kisii county employees under private medical cover criticised

Nyanza
By Erick Abuga | Dec 10, 2023
Kisii Governor Simba Arati. [Sammy Omingo, Standard]

More than 5,600 Kisii county government workers have been enrolled in private medical coverage, abandoning the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF).

A letter dated December 6, 2023, signed by the county's executive for Finance and Economic Planning, Kennedy Abincha, says M/S Trident Insurance will provide comprehensive cover for the executive staff.

"The county treasury successfully floated the tender bid. Consequently, we have entered into a contract for the year 2023/24 for medical cover for the staff," reads the letter.

Last week, the majority of the staff obtained forms from their respective departments to provide their details.

This development occurs as counties prepare for Universal Health Coverage (UHC), expected to revolutionise access to primary healthcare. UHC also aims to ensure access to quality health care by enhancing capacity in both structure and resources to meet the needs of the population.

The new medical scheme for Kisii is intended to replace the NHIF Comprehensive Cover, which the county's 5,600 employees have utilised since 2014.

Replacing NHIF

Various unions had opposed the move to replace the NHIF medical cover, saying it was superior compared to the private ones.

On October 12, Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists, and Dentists Union Nyanza secretary general Aggrey Orwenyo wrote to the county secretary and Head of Public Service to renew the NHIF comprehensive cover.

The NHIF 2022/23 cover lapsed on October 29, 2023.

Dr Orwenyo said they had consulted their members and done a comparative analysis with the counties that have ventured into private medical insurers and concluded that the NHIF comprehensive cover/enhanced scheme was advantageous.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS