Orengo in spot for failing to hire chief officers

Nyanza
By Isaiah Gwengi | Aug 11, 2023
Siaya Governor James Orengo when he appeared before committee on County Public Investments and Special Funds on July 13, 2023. [Elvis Ogina, Standard]

The Siaya County government has been put on the spot for failing to appoint chief officers, more than eight months after the election of Governor James Orengo.

When executive members were sworn in on January 8, according to lobby groups, the appointment of chief officers was expected to follow soon.

The 10 positions were advertised in December last year. More than 100 people, including those who served in the previous administration, were shortlisted.

According to Chris Owalla of the Siaya County Civil Society Network, the delay could be having a negative impact on service delivery. "The county's wage bill currently stands at an average of 40 per cent which is already a danger and a burden to the people as it jeopardises adequate expenditure on development," he said.

In a letter written to the Service Board, the Community Initiative Action Group Kenya accused Governor Orengo of ignoring the law.

"The Chief Executive Officer to the board has acted beyond six months as stipulated in Section 34 (3) of the Public Service Commission Act. We, therefore, ask the county public service board to take immediate action and enforce the law," said Owalla.

But the board's secretary and acting CEO Wilfred Nyagudi dismissed their claims, saying the lobby groups were partisan.

Nyagudi said the process has been delayed due to the huge number of those who applied. "Applications made manually were many and we had to go through all of them before concluding the process," he said.

While maintaining that the process was fair, Nyagudi added that they will make public the final report of the recruitment process through the County Assembly, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), and National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC).

The lobby groups also accused the administration of recycling people who had served in the previous administration.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS