Chief recruitment suspended after six petitioners move to court citing bribery

Nyanza
By James Omoro | Aug 04, 2023
Six residents moved to court, citing irregularities. [iStockphoto]

The Employment and Labour Relations Court in Kisumu has temporarily stopped the recruitment of assistant chiefs in three sub-locations in Homa Bay following a complaint by disgruntled residents.

The government has been in the process of recruiting assistant chiefs for Nyamaji East and Nyamaji West sub-locations.

A similar exercise was also being undertaken to employ an assistant chief for Waware North sub-location in Rusinga East.

Six residents moved to court, citing irregularities. "Many candidates did not attend the interviews because they never got the SMS for the invitation," the petition said.

The petitioners also said some candidates were asked to give up to Sh500,000 to be favoured by the interviewing panel.

Interviews for recruiting the assistant chiefs had been conducted on June 6 for the three sub-locations in Mbita.

Justice Stephen Radido said the court will give further directions on August 10.

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS