Scare as 138 Ikonge Girls School are taken ill with food contamination
Nyanza
By
Stanley Ongwae
| Jul 19, 2023
138 girls of Ikonge PAG Girls in Nyamira are receiving treatment at various healthcare facilities in Nyamira County after they started exhibiting symptoms of diarrhoea, vomiting and lower abdominal pains.
90 of the total affected learners were admitted to Ekerenyo Subcounty Hospital while 48 others were taken for treatment at a private healthcare center which is less than a kilometer from the institution.
Three among the 138 were yet to respond to first aid medication and were transferred to Nyamira County Referral Hospital for extended treatment.
According to the Nyamira North Sub-County Education Director Clare Oyula, the problem was reported this morning, but some of the learners who were receiving medical attention indicated that there were others who started feeling unwell on Tuesday evening.
County Executive for Health Dr Timothy Ombati who visited the students at Ekerenyo Sub-County Hospital confirmed that the students were exhibiting symptoms that could be linked to the consumption of contaminated food substance or water.
READ MORE
What we know about the South C building collapse
NTSA flags drunk driving, faulty speed limiters as 25 killed in road crashes
Ending digital violence not a 'women's only issue'
Ngugi wa Thiong'o and the African literary revolution
Why government should play greater role in fight against GBV
There's no shame for an abused man to seek justice and healing
My experience at SA's G20 Women's shutdown
Let's stop domestic conflicts turning into child murder
Thunder revolution: How city club is shaping the future of Kenyan basketball
Women's rights activists call for release of GBV taskforce report
Ombati said already a team of public health experts had been dispatched to the school which is at Ikonge Township in Nyamira North to investigate the situation.
The girls who talked to journalists said all their colleagues who were affected had served porridge for breakfast Wednesday morning and started experiencing the symptoms immediately.
Ombati assured parents that the situation was not as worrying and that the students will be safeguarded against any further harm.