Lobby group urges UN to withdraw Kenyan police from Haiti

National
By Francis Ontomwa | Sep 05, 2024
Kenyan police officers patrol near the national palace, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, July 17, 2024. [AFP]

A Haitian lobby group has written to the United Nations Security Council and the United States Congress, to cease security interventions in the Caribbean nation, citing interference from external forces.

The Movement Unforgettable Dessalines Jean Jacques argues that the presence of the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission in Haiti, led by Kenya, is compromising the country's independence and dignity.

In a letter dated September 5, seen by The Standard, the lobby group states: "As citizens of a free world, we cannot accept any further interference in our internal affairs. The United States would not tolerate such actions within its borders, and Haiti, as a proud and sovereign nation, asks for the same respect. We urge the United Nations Security Council and its member states to reconsider the policies and actions toward Haiti and to cease all forms of intervention that compromise our independence and dignity."

This comes even as Kenyan authorities express confidence that the Haiti mission is making significant progress.

National Police Service (NPS) Spokesperson Resila Onyango, told The Standard that Kenyan officers, alongside their counterparts, are making notable strides in stabilising parts of the troubled nation through sustained patrols and operations.

"Before the arrival of the MSS, the airport's northern area was a no-go zone, but normalcy is gradually returning," she said.

"Flight numbers, including commercial, cargo, and domestic flights, are increasing," she added.

The NPS said they are collaborating effectively with the Haitian National Police in conducting clearance operations in critical areas of Delmas, Bel-Air, and Solino to eliminate the gangs still operating in these zones.

This comes as Kenya plans to deploy a third contingent of police officers in a week and a half to bolster the security mission.

Sources familiar with the operations, but not authorised to speak to the media, indicate that high-level preparations are underway despite ongoing concerns about delayed payments, equipment shortage, and insufficient manpower on the ground.

The officers, mainly from specialised units, are currently undergoing training in close combat, street warfare, and language proficiency at the Embakasi Training College.

"We have made significant progress with the initial deployment and are looking to further bolster our efforts with the upcoming deployment," said an official.

Last week, there were complaints among the Kenyan officers who were deployed in June to lead the international policing force in Haiti over claims that they had not received full pay as promised.

However, Dr Onyango has said that the mission remains on course, with additional vehicles and equipment from the US government aiding in tackling the insecurity challenges.

"The pacification will be conducted by land, sea, and air, clearing roads and streets to allow the normal flow of people and vehicles," she said.

The Movement Unforgettable Dessalines Jean Jacques, a non-governmental body named after the first Haitian Emperor and leader of the Haitian Revolution, demands that the United States and the United Nations Security Council halt the current occupation by foreign police.

"As citizens of a free world, we cannot accept any further interference in our internal affairs," they said.

Kenya committed to deploying a contingent of 1,000 police officers to Haiti to lead the multinational mission aimed at restoring law and order in the troubled Caribbean nation.

fontomwa@standardmedia.co.ke

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS