Government seems unbothered over what is happening, say Gen Z

National
By Ivy Wanjiru and John Mwangi | Jul 02, 2024
Anti-Finance bill protestors demonstrate along Kenyatta Avenue in Nairobi's CBD on June 26. [Jonah Onyango, Standard].

President William Ruto's interview broadcast live on television on Sunday has sparked various reactions from Generation Z.

The Standard conducted interviews and sampled views from Gen Zs across various platforms including X, Facebook, Tiktok, Instagram among other platforms.

The youth mobilized and rallied around the hashtag #RutoMustGo to express their disappointment over the president's remarks on a number of issues.

The debate seems to have morphed from what started as a clarion call to reject the contentious Finance Bill 2024, to the push to oust the president.

Referring to a question asked about a 12-year-old boy who died after he was shot in Rongai, some Gen Zs expressed their anger at how the president appeared to be in the dark.

In a viral Tiktok video, Duchess, a content creator, said it was wrong for the president to question whether the boy was still alive on national television.

"He is the Head of State. He should be on top of things," she noted.

The youth claim that the same government which is supposed to look out for them has neglected them and seems unbothered by what is happening in the country.

According to Gabriel Stanley, a student at Mount Kenya University, President Ruto seems not to have the peoples' interests at heart. He further stated that the president seems clueless on what is happening in the country and its people.

"Watching the round table interview on Sunday and hearing the president's responses towards the questions asked has only propelled us to come out in larger numbers on Tuesday (today). The only slogan we will sing during the protests will be 'Ruto must go'."

Some youth said the president appeared to be more concerned with the loss and damage of property than human life.

Leslie Christine, a student, said the president looked unprepared for the interview.

"An interview with the president is usually scheduled hence giving him time to prepare beforehand. That he was not even aware of the 12-year old boy's death just shows unpreparedness and his unawareness of what is going on in the country," said Leslie.

Sylvia Pereruan, a student at United States International University (USIU), said one of her close friends was shot outside Parliament during the anti-tax protests last week.

"I didn't read a scintilla of remorse in the president for the lives lost, including my friend's," said Sylvia.

"This government is not taking accountability for what it has done."

According to Kylie Jenny, the interview sparked more anger among Kenyans as was evidently witnessed on X and other online platforms.

Jenny says it would have been better to stay quiet on some controversial issues instead of igniting a fire.

"He just fueled anger. X had been calm until the interview," she said.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS