Families move to higher ground as dams water levels rise

National
By Gitau Wanyoike | May 05, 2024
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki. [Collins Oduor, Standard]

At least five dams in Kiambu have been marked as risky as water levels rise.

Lari Swamp, Ruruti dam in Limuru, Brookside/Gicheha dam in Ruiru, Kiahuria and Selecta public dams in Juja have been marked as full and risky to the residents. Ruruti dam in Limuru is already overflowing.

Other dams which are at risk of bursting as heavy rains continue are Karia water dam in Ruiru and Ziwa in Kiambu posing a risk to the residents.

The Ministry of Interior and Coordination of Government has issued an alert over the dams in Kiambu County as 14 other dams are deemed to be at a heightened risk level.

Residents have also been urged to keep off unattended fish ponds and open quarries following murram excavation in Kamiti location and the Anmer sub-location.

In a statement, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki underscored the severity of the situation directing residents within the immediate vicinity of 178 dams or water reservoirs that are either filled up or nearing capacity to vacate with immediate effect.

"This evacuation order is effective immediately and must be complied with within 24 hours from May 2, 2024, at 1830 hours. Failure to adhere to this directive will result in mandatory evacuation measures being enforced for the safety of the individuals concerned," read the statement dated May 3.

Besides the 178 dams and water reservoirs in 33 counties where relocation and evacuation orders have been issued, county security committees have been directed to continuously monitor other dams or water reservoirs within their respective jurisdictions, which may not be presenting public safety risks at the moment but could do so in the event of more rains.

The move by the government comes after floods killed more than 200 people.

On April 29, flash floods swept through Kamuchiri village and Mai Mahiu, killing 58 people and leaving scores injured.

Kiambu Governor Kimani Wamatangi has established a disaster management team which was deployed in areas affected by floods.

The teams have been deployed to the twelve sub-counties and tasked with coordinating rescue operations, sanitation efforts, and providing essential services to affected residents.

"The county has also strategically deployed about 40 backhoes and excavators in every sub-county to assist in unclogging drainage and culverts to mitigate further flooding," said Wamatangi.

Some of the areas that have experienced heavy flooding in Kiambu County include Ngoingwa, Kahawa Wendani, Mwiki, Mwihoko, Manguo, Bosnia, Kiambaa, and Banana.

In other areas, houses have been marooned by floods and property destroyed as swollen rivers cause havoc.

Further, evacuation centres have been established in churches, schools, Vocational Training Centres and ECDE centres, to provide temporary shelter and aid displaced families.

The disaster management team is led by the county Fire and Rescue team, which is well-equipped and trained to handle such emergencies effectively.

"The county is also engaged in relief efforts, including distributing food, blankets, mattresses and other essential supplies to those affected. The medical team is also on high alert, providing medical care and monitoring health concerns at evacuation centres," said Dr Elias Maina, Kiambu Health Executive.

On May 4, 2024, Prof Kindiki said 138 camps had been set up across 18 counties for people displaced by floods.

The camps are hosting 62,061 persons from 14,771 households who are supported with food and non-food essentials until the floods subside.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS