CS Chirchir says an overload in the Kisumu - Muhoroni line caused Sunday nationwide blackout

National
By Mate Tongola | Dec 11, 2023
Energy Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir. [Silas Otieno, Standard]

Sunday's nationwide power outage was caused by an overload in the Kisumu - Muhoroni power line.

According to Energy Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir, the Kisumu - Muhoroni line was planned to carry 80MW but was carrying 149MW.

Addressing the press on Monday, December 11, Chichir said that the government will be setting up a new substation and a line of 90km that will relieve the capacity on the Muhoroni - Kisumu line.

"We will build a new 33KV line between Narok and Bomet to prevent constant power outages. We will have reduced overload line to prevent plunging the country into darkness which is not right," he said.

The CS stated that his Ministry has not invested much in the networks and that there are plans to give out a number of networks to be built by private firms. This will ease putting pressure.

"Kenya has not had any major electricity system upgrades for the past 6 years and the new line will take 20 months to complete. It will be funded by the African Development Bank and Japan," the CS added.

Chirchir was among passengers who remained stranded at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) on Sunday night.

"I was flying in from Dubai, I was at the airport when the electricity went off. I experienced firsthand the anger because as passengers, we could not obtain our bags. The luggage belt was not moving. It is such a shame and we need to address it," he said.

Earlier on Monday, Transport CS Murkomen called on police to investigate possible sabotage after a generator failure at JKIA last night.

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS