Court postpones Kinuthia's sentencing in murder of Ivy Wangeci

National
By Lynn Kolongei | Nov 22, 2023
Murder suspect Naftali Kinuthia at Eldoret High Court. He has been found guilty of killing Ivy Wangeci. [Peter Ochieng, Standard]

Naftali Kinuthia, the prime suspect in the brutal murder of Moi University medical student Ivy Wangeci will be sentenced on December 13.

Justice Stephen Githinji, sitting at the High Court in Malindi, postponed the sentencing of the accused after it emerged that a pre-sentence report was yet to be filed in court.

Advocate Kiroko Ndegwa, representing the family of the late Wangeci told the court that his clients were yet to be involved in the preparation of the pre-sentence report by the probation officer.

The judge then directed that the report be prepared and filed in court before the sentencing date.

He said that the accused will be allowed to mitigate before the sentencing.

"I direct the Deputy Registrars from Eldoret and Malindi courts to liaise and ensure that the pre-sentencing report is filed in good time. This matter has come a long way, and we are approaching the tail end of it," said the judge.

Last month Justice Githinji found Kinuthia, 33, guilty of the student's murder which took place outside the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) on April 9, 2019.

The judge, who has been presiding over the case before his transfer to Malindi High Court, said that the prosecution had proved their case beyond reasonable doubt.

The Judge ruled that Kinuthia bore malice aforethought and had bought a new axe which he used to end the student's life in broad daylight.

"If he had no intention to kill, he had the opportunity to attack the victim using his bare fist. But he had an axe and a knife and used the axe, a lethal and dangerous weapon, to strike the medical student," he said.

"There are other axes smaller with wooden handles. The accused had a metal axe with a metal handle and claimed that he had it in his car for security reasons. I do not agree with him," he added.

The Judge further said that Kinuthia did not even use a knife in his possession to attack Wangeci, which would have probably given the deceased a second chance at life.

"The accused never even used the knife to attack the deceased, as this would have given Ivy a chance to survive. He used the axe and hit the deceased not once but twice on the head and neck, leaving her with no chance to survive," reads the judgment

He dismissed the accused's allegations during his defense hearing that he was in an intimate relationship with Wangeci.

In March, Kinuthia gave sworn testimony in his defense after the prosecution closed its case, having lined up about 20 witnesses to give their evidence in chief.

He has been in Eldoret GK Remand Prison since he was arrested in connection with the killing.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS