Mother who killed son to travel to Saudi to serve 10 years in prison

National
By Joackim Bwana | Oct 20, 2023
Happy Mwenda before Justice Ann Ong'injo at the Mombasa High Court. [Joackim Bwana, Standard]

A woman who strangled her one-year-old son to death to facilitate her travel to Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to 10 years in prison by the High Court in Mombasa.

Happy Mwenda was charged with the murder of her son, whom she strangled and subsequently disposed of in a septic tank, all in an effort to secure the opportunity to work in Saudi Arabia.

On Thursday, Justice Ann Ong'injo said Mwenda deserved punishment not only as a deterrent to potential offenders but also to impart the crucial lesson that life is sacred.

"The child, who depended on the accused person, perished due to selfish interests. She eliminated the child to further her travel plans to the East. This court concludes that the accused should be penalised," the judge said.

Alvin Mumba, aged one, had a constitutional right to life, Ong'injo added. The judge said Mwenda needs to comprehend she lacks the authority to take a life. "The appropriate punishment in the view of this court is 10 years' imprisonment, effective from August 2, 2022," Justice Ong'injo said.

The judge said Mwenda's husband, Yawe Mbaru, had separated from her in 2017, and the incident marked the first time she had gone to his house since the heinous act occurred.

Mwenda was initially charged in July of last year with the murder of Mumba. The accused committed the offence on July 7, 2022, at Bombo Area in Kisauni sub-county within Mombasa county.

During the sentencing, Justice Ong'injo said the prosecution established the accused had secured a job in the Middle East.

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS