Court suspends Ruto's move to appoint commission probing Shakahola deaths

National
By Winfrey Owino | May 29, 2023

The high court has suspended President William Ruto's decision to appoint a judicial inquiry that will probe Shakahola Forest deaths.

In his ruling, Justice Lawrence Mugambi says Azimio has raised serious issues that prompted the court to intervene.

A week ago, High Court temporarily barred the commission of inquiry into the Shakahola tragedy from commencing its sittings.

The ruling was to take effect for seven days pending the determination of the case filed by the Azimio La Umoja One Kenya coalition.

Justice Mugambi had told the commission not to start their sittings until he gives fresh directions on Monday.

Through its official lawyer, Paul Mwangi, the Azimio coalition had opposed the formation of the commission on grounds it was not in accordance with the law.

The coalition argued that President William Ruto had defied the constitution and usurped the powers of other state organs.

The Raila-led coalition also raised an issue with the appointment of Lady Justice Jessie Lessit to head the commission. The coalition argued that it was likely to compromise the independence of the judge.

President William Ruto appointed Court of Appeal judge Jessie Lessit to head the commission in investigating the Shakahola deaths.

Lawyer Kioko Kilukumi was named the commission's lead counsel.

Justice Mary Muhanji, Bishop Catherine Mutua, Psychiatrist Frank Njenga, lawyer Eric Gumbo, Jonathan Lodompui, Dr Wanyama Musiambu, and Albert Musasia were appointed members to of the commission.

The Commission was tasked with, among other things, inquiring into the matter of the deaths, torture, and inhumane and degrading treatment of members and other persons linked to the Good News International Church in Kilifi County.

The commission will also look into the legal, administrative, security, and intelligence lapses that could have led to the Shakahola tragedy, where over 100 people have died so far after controversial preacher Makenzi instructed them to fast for long periods so they can "meet their maker.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS