Mama Ngina Kenyatta speaks out on 'tax evasion' claims

National
By Betty Njeru | Feb 05, 2023
Former First Lady Mama Ngina Kenyatta. [File, Standard]

Former First Lady Mama Ngina Kenyatta has come out guns blazing, amid reports linking the Kenyattas to tax evasion.

Mama Ngina, who spoke at the St. Teresa's Catholic Church in Mpeketoni, Lamu County on Saturday, said she is ready to have her property auctioned upon proof of tax evasion by the State.

"It is a fact that every employed Kenyan should pay income tax, irrespective of their job group. That is not up for discussion. There is no need to malign someone, to seem as though you are doing something," the former First Lady said.

"The government has policies in place. If I'm found to have breached the law...even for a year, I will pay the said taxes."

Although she did not mention names, Mama Ngina hit out at the Kenya Kwanza administration, for "deviating focus" from issues that Kenyans are grappling with.

Earlier in the week, it emerged that former President Uhuru Kenyatta may be the next target in the push by President William Ruto to ensure that all Kenyans pay taxes.

On Monday, Kenya Kwanza senators, led by John Methu (Nyandarua), urged the National Assembly to investigate tax waivers enjoyed by the Kenyatta family during former President Uhuru's tenure.

The senators also want an audit of Uhuru's wealth to establish whether the former First family dully paid its land rates.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS