Police fail to locate retired officer facing murder charges in Baby Pendo case

National
By Nancy Gitonga | May 05, 2025

Some of 11 senior police officers over brutal murder of Baby Pendo in 2017, before Milimani High Court on May 5. 2025 [Nancy Gitonga, Standard]

The National Police Service (NPS) and Inspector General of Police have reported being unable to locate retired senior officer Mohamed Baa Amin, who faces murder charges in connection with the death of Baby Pendo.

Appearing before the Milimani High Court on Monday, May 5, Chief Inspector Peter Kanani explained that efforts to locate Baa, who is one of 12 officers accused in the 2017 deaths of Baby Pendo and 39 others during post-election unrest, had been unsuccessful.

Kanani told Justice Margaret Muigai that despite searches at Baa's rural home in Wajir and other properties across the country, there were no signs of his whereabouts.

"I hereby table a report in court from the Wajir County Regional Police Commander Pepita Ranka indicating that the National Police Service has not been able to trace the 11th accused person, Mr. Baa," said Kanani.

The NPS has also sought help from the public and all police stations nationwide in locating the officer. "We have not received any information about him," noted Kanani.

He added that the NPS suspects Baa may have fled to Somalia, and Interpol has been engaged to assist in the search.

At the same time, Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Renson Ingonga, represented by State Counsel Mark Barasa, confirmed that the case against the remaining 11 officers would proceed.

The charges against them, including murder and torture, have been amended following Baa's disappearance.

Barasa told the court the amended charge sheet, dated May 2, 2025, included additional charges against officers such as Linah Kogey, Mohamed Guyo, and Titus Mutune Yoma.

However, the 11 officers, facing over 40 charges under the International Crimes Act and Rome Statute, requested more time to review the new charges.

Justice Muigai adjourned the plea-taking for one hour to allow them time to consult their legal teams.

The accused officers are charged under the principle of "command responsibility," which holds senior officers accountable for the actions of their subordinates.

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS