Miano pledges to revitalise tourism, safeguard wildlife

Nairobi
By David Njaaga | Aug 14, 2024
Former Tourism CS Alfred Mutua (left) hands the docket to incoming counterpart Rebecca Miano in Nairobi on Wednesday, August 14. [Elvis Ogina, Standard]

Tourism Cabinet Secretary Rebecca Miano has pledged to revitalise the country's tourism sector and enhance wildlife conservation.

She made the remarks on Wednesday, August 14, as she officially took office in Nairobi, succeeding Alfred Mutua, who has been redeployed to the Labour docket following recent Cabinet changes.

Miano, who previously held the Investments, Trade and Industry docket, reflected on her past government roles, which she said provided valuable experience in wildlife conservation and the hospitality industry.

"The task before us is huge," said Miano.

"We need to rethink how we attract tourists and protect our wildlife, especially with climate change in mind."

She urged her department to focus on innovation and continuous efforts to revive the industry.

Quoting Robert Collier, she said, "Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out."

Miano outlined her top priorities, including operationalising the Ronald Ngala Utalii College for world-class training, improving the classification of hospitality facilities and promoting domestic tourism.

"I will encourage modern technology to increase tourist numbers and create memorable experiences," she added.

She also committed to reviewing the National Tourism Policy, ensuring tourist safety and distributing tourism benefits evenly across the country.

Miano also addressed the need for effective wildlife conservation, stating that there is a need to retool conservation strategies to respond to issues like climate change.

She affirmed her commitment to working closely with the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) and other agencies to ensure proper mechanisms for compensation and conservation are in place.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS