City Hall to employ 43 NMS doctors after deal with KMPDU

Nairobi
By Patrick Vidija | Aug 02, 2024
Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja (second left) with KMPDU officials after they struck a deal for City Hall to confirm the NMS doctors. [Courtesy]

Nairobi County is set to employ 43 doctors who served under the defunct Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS).

This comes after Governor Johnson Sakaja struck a return-to-work deal with the Kenya Medical Practitioners Pharmacists and Dentists' Union-KMPDU.

The union's Secretary General Dr Davji Atellah in a statement said they had engaged Governor Sakaja regarding the unconfirmed doctors under NMS and had agreed that they would be confirmed on permanent and pensionable terms.

The 43 include 35 medical officers and 8 specialists.

"The doctors will pick up their letters on August 12, 2024. This means all 115 medical officers and 18 specialists under NMS will be confirmed to permanent and pensionable terms, with the additional employment of 35 medical officers, 31 pharmacists, 20 dentists, and 8 specialists," said Atellah.

He said the union expresses its gratitude to the county leadership for its cooperation and commitment to recognising the vital contributions of the medical professionals.

"At KMPDU, we are committed to ensuring no member is left behind. We are stronger together," he said.

The doctor's fate has been in the balance since 2022 when Governor Sakaja took over City Hall and abolished the existence of NMS.

The absorption of Nairobi Metropolitan Services doctors was among the 19 demands that the doctors had listed as they staged the countrywide strike that lasted for 56 days.

Confirmation of the said doctors is among the deals that were struck with the Health Ministry as the doctors called off the strike.

Despite this development, there however remain questions on the scandal of fully-equipped city hospitals without adequate staff.

In a move to bolster healthcare infrastructure, the defunct Nairobi Metropolitan Service built several cutting-edge hospitals across Nairobi, aiming to provide free quality medical services to the city's growing population.

While these facilities stand as a testament to progress, the hospitals, despite being fully equipped with modern amenities, are grappling with severe financial constraints and a dire shortage of staff, hampering services.

Even the posting of 500 workers previously attached to NMS is yet to address the crisis.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS