Family evicted from Westlands house moves to court

Nairobi
By Collins Kweyu | May 26, 2024

Household furnishings belonging to a family evicted from a residence in Westlands, Nairobi on Friday evening.[Collins Kweyu, Standard]

A family that was evicted from a residence in Nairobi on Friday will seek legal redress in court in pursuit of justice.

The family led by their 83-year-old widowed matriarch living in Westlands was kicked out of the home by people believed to be hired goons.

Through their lawyers Ashford Muriuki and Sheila Mugo the family said claims a fake court order was used to evict them. Muriuki and Mugo accused police of protecting Siuma auctioneers, which carried out the 'illegal' eviction. "The family of our client who is 83 years old has lived on the two-acre property as theirs and not tenant as the auctioneer alleges," insisted the lawyers.

The family is counting losses in terms of destruction and theft.

"We are shocked that the court order that was presented to our client was a fake one as there is no court known as the 'tribunal of Kenya' at Nairobi city," said Muriuki adding that the eviction was an illegal exercise, which they plan to challenge in court.

In the court order, Mokowe Traders Limited and Taskeen Fathedin alongside Mehnaz Fathedin are the parties enlisted in the matter.

The document was signed by deputy registrar Lydia Mbacho who issued the order on April 3, 2024

"That the tenants themselves, their agents, servants or employees are hereby ordered to vacant possession of all the suit premises erected on known and described as LR No.209/7784 situated at Muthangari within Nairobi area," states the order.

Muthangari police commander was directed to provide security and ensure that the orders were complied with.

Siuma Auctioneers is associated with Zachary Barasa who is not new to controversy. Last year, the man was involved in a similar eviction in Parklands. The matter is in court after he was arrested over the exercise.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS