KRA officials put to task over 2021 deal on revenue collection in city

Nairobi
By Pkemoi Ng'enoh | Jan 24, 2024

The Kenya Revenue Authority was put to task to explain the basis for its nine officials have been involved in revenue collection at City Hall.

The taxman was tasked with revenue collection in 2021 during the regime of defunct Nairobi Metropolitan Services.

The presence of KRA staff and queries over county revenue collection system led to formation of a special committee late last year to investigate the whole revenue collection process.

On January 23, the Ad-Hoc committee chaired by Majority Leader Peter Imwatok noted that the KRA staff had worked for one year without a legal framework.

In response, both the County Secretary Patrick Analo and a legal officer from KRA admitted that there was no existing framework yet.

The authority's legal officer told the committee that they had come up with a proposed framework, which was forwarded to the county government for approval.

"The framework needed further consultation," the legal officer explained.

However, Finance County Executive Member Charles Kerich stated that a memorandum of understanding will be put in place for the county to work with the taxman.

Who's paying?

He told the committee that the nine officials were not drawing salaries from the county government.

"Up to date, we have not processed any payment because we have no legally binding document to make us pay them," Kerich said.

KRA Deputy Commissioner Anastacia Githuba has been leading the team of nine tax officials.

Githuba, however, told the committee that Governor Johnson Sakaja requested the secondment of the officials to help in the transition.

During the probe, committee members, among them Silas Matara, further sought to know the basis used to settle on the nine.

Githuba explained that after Sakaja wrote to KRA requesting for some officials, a legal framework plan was attached to a response letter to the county government.

"The board approved the names of the nine officers and the response letter to the county over the request had an attachment of a legal framework that ought to have been deliberated upon by the county and KRA," she said.

Githuba added that for the period that the KRA officials have been at City Hall, they have been earning salaries from their employer and not City Hall.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS