Land Registar confirms Sh944m Donholm landownership in court

Nairobi
By Kamau Muthoni | Aug 08, 2023

Members of Sowesava self-help group who had been previously charged with malicious damage to property for demolishing a perimeter fence around the parcel of land situated in Donholm belonging to Gidjoy Investments Limited. [File, Standard]

A land registrar has told the court that a property valued at close to Sh1 billion at Donholm, Nairobi belongs to Gidjoy Investment Limited.

Vincesia Juma in her testimony before Milimani Court magistrate Gilbert Shikwe on Tuesday stated that according to lands records, Gidjoy owned the property worth Sh944 million.

"The current owners in all the properties mentioned is Gidjoy Investment Ltd," said Juma as she presented ownership documents as an exhibit.

In the case, Benita Alando, Peter Keya, Davis Mutuku, Titus Ochieng, Boniface Oduor, Calvince Ochieng, Patrobas Awino, Nick Omondi, and Philemon Otieno are accused of malicious damage.

The prosecution claims that the suspects allegedly damaged the property's wall on March 27, 2018.

The value of the wall is estimated at Sh144, 000.

At the same time, they face another count of forcible entry into Gidjoy's property.

The 10 accused persons are tied up to another criminal case surrounding the ownership of the land.

In the other case, former Kayole chief, Alexander Hoops, Patrobas Awino, Peter Gitau, and Peter Njoroge were 2021 charged with five counts of forgery and land fraud

They were accused of attempting to defraud Gidjoy Investments by allegedly forging documents to show they owned a parcel of land.

"On unknown date and place within the Republic of Kenya, jointly with others not before court, with intent to defraud MS Gidjoy Investments Limited land parcel formerly Nairobi/Block 82/7333 now part of amalgamation of parcels Nairobi/Block 82/7813 to Nairobi /Block 82/7856 measuring 11.8 acres situated at Donholm area valued at Sh944 million," the charge sheet read in part.

They were also accused of forging a title deed and claiming that it was signed by Rosemary Onyango, a land registrar, and forging an allotment letter of the land alleging to be signed by one P Amiani, a land registration officer.

The two criminal cases are a culmination of a series of court battles over the same land.

In 2019, Hoops alongside others filed a constitutional case against the Attorney General, and then Sowesa Self-help Group filed another case against National Lands Commission and Gidjoy. Meanwhile, Gidjoy filed a case against Zero Point Construction and 69 others and another suit against NLC.

In the cases before the Lands Court, Hoops asked the court to block the police from interfering with their possession of the property. At the same time, they asked Justice Eric Obaga to allow them 'access their homes.'

They claimed that they were allotted the property in 1998.

In reply, Gidjoy told the court that Hoops and his team were relying on forged documents to claim ownership but the process was reversed after the Ministry discovered that their papers were not genuine.

However, Justice Obaga dismissed the application by Hoops after finding that another judge, Justice Samson Okong'o had raised serious doubts about the authenticity of Sowesa's allotment documents.

"There are photographs which are annexed to the affidavit of Sergent Wilson Tenai. They show that the property in issue is vacant. There are no buildings and it is therefore clear that the applicants (Hoops, Mugambi, Owino) are not being honest when they claim that they have put up houses on the suit properties which they want access to," ruled Justice Obaga.

In the case against NLC, the Gidjoy operations manager explained that it bought the land from Continental Developers Limited.

He told the court that armed gangs had invaded the same on behalf of a self-help group and had subdivided the land to themselves.

NLC had invited Gidjoy for a hearing despite knowing that its land was not public.

In the case which had been filed before Justice Kosy Bor, the firm explained that it had legitimate ownership documents.

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS