Former bank manager in Sh653m theft case acquitted

Nairobi
By Kamau Muthoni | May 05, 2023
Omunga was accused of stealing at least Sh328 million from the bank, in the first count, and another Sh325 million, in the second count. [iStockphoto]

A court in Nairobi has freed a former Standard Chartered Bank employee accused of stealing Sh653 million from the lender in 2013 due to lack of evidence.

Milimani court magistrate Peter Ooko found claims against Collins Omuga Mackenzie could not stand as there was no proof he was behind the robbery said to have led to the loss of the money.

The magistrate noted that none of the witnesses called by the prosecution gave evidence that proving Omuga has a case to answer.

"I do hold that the prosecution failed to prove, to the required standard, the two counts as preferred against the accused person. I do hereby do find him not guilty as charged and therefore proceed to acquit him forthwith," ruled Ooko.

Omuga had been charged with two counts. He was accused of stealing at least Sh328 million from the bank, in the first count, and another Sh325 million, in the second count.

He denied the charges.

The state argued that the former operations manager had access to the money as an employee and called in six witnesses to support its case.

However, the accused argued that the person who defrauded the lender used his staff user name.

According to the state, Sh328 million was linked to an identity of a loan advanced to Alaf in Tanzania. The money ended up in China's Grate Land Consulting Company instead of Standard Chartered Bank in Japan.

Omuga, on the other hand, told the court that during his employment, he never came into contact with any cash money. While disputing the claim, he argued that none of his colleagues linked him to the theft.

The magistrate agreed with Omuga, observing that it was only the ICT staff who would have shed light on what happened.

Share this story
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS