Verstappen says new Red Bull car gave him 'goosebumps'

Motorsport
By AFP | Mar 05, 2026
Red Bull Racing's Max Verstappen. [Martin Keep/AFP]

Four-time world champion Max Verstappen said Thursday he does not know how the opening Grand Prix of the season will play out under sweeping new regulations, but he "got goosebumps" when he first saw the new Red Bull car.

The Dutchman was underwhelmed at pre-season testing in Bahrain by this year's rule changes, which have led to a complete overhaul of chassis and engines for every team.

Drivers will have to better manage their batteries on each lap, a task he called "anti-racing".

But with plenty of data collected, he is optimistic ahead of the season-opening race in Melbourne this weekend.

"It has felt like a long build-up to this point, and it is exciting to finally get out racing again," said Verstappen, who won six of the last nine Grands Prix in 2025 but narrowly failed to retain his world championship crown.

"In Bahrain, seeing the car with our own power unit getting in so many laps was very impressive.

"We've been driving the car in the simulator for such a long time, so when it was finally time to come back and see the car ready to go, I did get goosebumps."

Red Bull has dispensed with Honda engines and is competing this season for the first time with their own factory-built power units.

Team chief Laurent Mekies said it had been "one of the biggest challenges to face in our sport".

"But it's a challenge we've embraced together. This weekend is the biggest step on that journey so far," he added.

Verstappen said he did not "know how it is all going to play out" in Melbourne, a race he won in 2023.

"But we have been learning a lot and working on optimising the car as best we can.

"Obviously, this track has many great memories for me, especially driving my first ever F1 race here," he added.

"But this year will be a particularly exciting challenge, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes."

Verstappen is partnered at Red Bull this year by French driver Isack Hadjar, promoted to the number two seat after a successful rookie season with Racing Bulls.

"The preparation over the winter has been intense, but Albert Park is an incredible circuit, and I feel ready," said Hadjar.

"The goal for this weekend is to build confidence with the new regulations under race conditions, work closely with the team and extract everything we can from the car from the very first session to set ourselves up for the season".

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS