Top names set for fierce battle as autocross action heads to Stoni Athi

Sports
By Washington Onyango | Sep 05, 2025
Kenya's motorsport scene will be bouncing back in style on Saturday as the Tai Racing/Shell 2025 Autocross and Autocross Plus Championship kicks off at the Stoni Athi Resort and Ranch.[Courtesy]

Kenya's motorsport scene will be bouncing back in style on Saturday as the Tai Racing/Shell 2025 Autocross and Autocross Plus Championship kicks off at the Stoni Athi Resort and Ranch.

The event has drawn more than 50 entries - the highest in over ten years - showing that the sport is firmly on the path to recovery after suffering setbacks from regulatory disputes witnessed last year.

At the centre of this revival is the newly formed 254 Motorsports Club, which has injected fresh energy into the championship.

The newly registered 254 Motorsports Club has been credited with sparking this resurgence. With renewed energy, lowered participation costs, and a fresh grassroots approach, the club has brought both veterans and the next generation of drivers back to the dirt tracks.

Among the exciting new faces are Michuki Hinga, son of rally veteran Charles Hinga, Adriano Varese, son of Leonardo Varese, and the Chatthe brothers' sons, continuing the legacy of champion Jassi Chatthe.

These youngsters are already showing promise, proving that the future of Kenya's motorsport is in capable hands.

The entry list also features some of the country's biggest names. Karan Patel and Nikhil Sachania, both flying the Kenyan flag on the international stage in the African Rally Championship (ARC), are set to compete.

Motorsport icons Baldev Chagger, Asad Anwar, and Eric Bengi are also returning to action, while FIA Stars Champion Hamza Anwar is gearing up to kick up some dust of his own.

Unlike past editions that capped entries at 40, this year's organisers are opening the field wide.

According to Clerk of the Course Muqsit Hussain, the two-day format and the venue's proximity to Nairobi make it possible to welcome as many participants as possible. "We are happy to host such a strong entry list this time around," Hussain said.

"The club had a vision to revive motorsport from its near standstill in 2024. To achieve that, we had to get drivers and cars back on track. We introduced longer, rally-style stages as part of our grassroots initiative, which has been very well received, and we made sure to cut costs so every shilling went back into the sport.

"This is a rebirth for Kenyan motorsport. We are hopeful that with continued growth, a new federation - Motorsport Kenya - will soon be registered, paving the way for even greater development locally," Hussain said.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS