South Africa moves closer to hosting Formula One race

Sports
By AFP | Jun 18, 2025
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands powers his car during second practice session for the Japanese Formula One Grand Prix at the Suzuka Circuit in Suzuka, central Japan, Friday, Oct. 7, 2022. (AP Photo/Toru Hanai)

Toby Venter, owner of the Kyalami Grand Prix circuit near Johannesburg, said on Wednesday that plans to upgrade the track to Formula One standards had been approved by the controlling body.

He told reporters the venue that last hosted a F1 race in 1993 had been given the green light by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) to implement design proposals.

"Today, we turn the page to a bold new chapter for Kyalami. We are ready for the return of Formula One to African soil," said Venter.

"When we acquired Kyalami in 2014, we made a commitment to restore it, not just as a world-class venue, but as a beacon for motorsport across Africa.

"The acceptance by the FIA of our grade one design is a major step forward in that journey," added Venter, an importer of luxury vehicles.

Kyalami and Cape Town in South Africa, Rwanda and Morocco have expressed interest in bringing F1 racing back to Africa.

The British company charged with doing the upgrades said they were "minor", and could be completed within three months. FIA has given Kyalami a three-year deadline for completion.

Upgrades, which will not change the 4.5 kilometre (2.8 miles) circuit layout, include enhancing run-off areas and barriers.

"The proposed FIA grade one upgrade focuses on enhancing run-off areas, barrier systems, debris fencing, kerbs, and drainage," a company spokesman said.

"This is a light-touch upgrade in engineering terms, but one that enhances the already excellent circuit standards to meet modern grade one requirements."

More spectator zones and grandstands have also been earmarked as part of a bigger upgrade, leaving Kyalami as the only grade one certified venue in Africa.

Kyalami has hosted 21 F1 Grands Prix, the last in 1993 won by Alain Prost for Williams. The annual event was discontinued because it proved too costly for the then owners to host.

Share this story
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
Arsenal are on the brink of ending a 22-year wait to win the Premier League after beating Burnley 1-0 on Monday, opening up a five-point lead at the top.
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS