Australian F1 driver Doohan calls for online abuse to stop

Sports
By AFP | May 20, 2025

Jack Doohan of Australia and Alpine F1 arrives in the Paddock prior to the F1 Grand Prix of Miami at Miami International Autodrome on May 04, 2025. [AFP]

Australian Formula One driver Jack Doohan has pleaded for online abuse of his family to stop after being targeted on social media.

The 22-year-old, son of former motorcycling world champion Mick Doohan, was this month dropped by the Alpine team after only six races.

He was replaced by Argentina's Franco Colapinto, who finished 16th at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix in Italy on Sunday following a big crash in qualifying.

Writing to his nearly 500,000 followers on Instagram, Doohan said a fake post attributed to his father had been created on there to paint the elder Doohan in a bad light.

"Please stop harassing my family. I didn't think I would have to get to this point," Doohan wrote on Instagram alongside a screenshot of what he said was the fake post.

It showed a picture of Colapinto after a crash and Doohan senior supposedly commenting, "Very impressive".

"Multiple Argentine outlets falsely reported the fabricated image, which triggered the online abuse of my family," Doohan, now a reserve driver for Alpine, wrote.

A separate Alpine statement also called for an end to the abuse.

"We encourage everyone to remember that behind the visor of these superhuman athletes, there is a person, an individual with feelings, family, friends, and loved ones," the team wrote.

"As a team, we cannot condone online abuse and urge all fans of this sport we love to be kind and respectful."

The next race is in Monaco this weekend.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS