Hamilton rubbishes claims he's lost faith in Ferrari

Sports
By AFP | Apr 03, 2025

Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton (centre R) celebrates taking pole position with his father Anthony Hamilton (centre L) after the sprint qualifying session of the Formula One Chinese Grand Prix at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai on March 21, 2025. [GREG BAKER, AFP]

Lewis Hamilton said Thursday that suggestions that he had lost faith in Ferrari were "complete rubbish" as he looks to rebound from his Chinese Grand Prix disqualification this week in Japan.

The seven-time world champion has experienced the highs and lows over his first two race weekends with Ferrari, finishing 10th in Australia before taking his maiden victory in Scuderia red at the sprint race in Shanghai.

Hamilton's joy turned to despair the next day as he and teammate Charles Leclerc were both kicked out of the Chinese Grand Prix by stewards for separate technical infringements.

Hamilton told reporters ahead of this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka that he "didn't feel any frustration" over the outcome in Shanghai.

"I saw someone said whether I'm losing faith in the team, which is complete rubbish," he said.

"I have absolute 100 percent faith in this team."

Expectations had been distorted, added Hamilton, by the "huge amount of hype" surrounding his move from Mercedes to Ferrari.

"I don't know if everyone was expecting us to be winning from race one and winning a championship in our first year," Hamilton said.

"That wasn't my expectation. I know that I'm coming into a new culture, a new team and it's going to take time."

Hamilton said he was "not surprised" that Red Bull had replaced the underperforming Liam Lawson with Yuki Tsunoda just two races into the new season, but called the decision "pretty harsh".

The 40-year-old Hamilton is one of the elder statesmen of F1 and expressed sympathy with the 23-year-old Lawson.

"I think there's naturally a lot of pressure on youngsters coming in," said Hamilton.

"There's no way you can get fully on top of a car which is known to be not the easiest car to necessarily drive.

"Just to give him two races was pretty harsh."

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS