Why Mwangi is inspired ahead of next week's WRC Safari Rally

Sports
By Ochieng Oyugi | Jun 16, 2022
Driver Stephen Mwangi (left) and Sports CS Amina Mohamed accompanied by other drivers and Safari Rally officials during the launch of Driver Support Program with the official retail partner Quickmart ahead of the 2022 WRC. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

The excitement of the 2022 World Rally Championships (WRC) series is on the air.

It is ringing even much louder that now the sixth leg of the global series, the Safari Rally, is headed home in the lakeside town of Naivasha next week.

One of the participants, Steve Mwangi, is determined to make it through the grueling showpiece after failing to reach the finish line last season.

Mwangi was amongst the Kenya National Rally Championship (KNRC) drivers who were relegated from the main event to the national tier four category after failing to upgrade their vehicles to the recommended standards laid down by world motorsports governing body FIA.

To add insult to the injury, Mwangi failed to complete the prestigious contest last season due to a broken driveshaft.

But Mwangi’s problems appear to have come to an end yesterday after he landed a lucrative Sh10 million deal, together with Lioness Rally champion Maxine Wahome, from retail store Quickmart.

“With the funds, I’m now motivated to finish the rally,” a visibly excited Mwangi told Standard Sports.

Mwangi has planned to upgrade his Subaru Imprezza N10 that he was already preparing for the Safari Rally.

“I’ll buy a better driveshaft. This is what brought me nightmare in the competition last year. We are currently moulding the car, we are working on areas that failed us last in 2021; changing the parts where necessary,” he said.

The 43-year old father of three already knows he cannot beat the big boys of the game from M-Sport Ford, Toyota Gazoo Racing and Hyundai Motorsport but he is determined not to crash out of the championships like he did last season. “The likes of defending champion Sebastien Ogier and nine time winner Sebastien Loeb have beasts we can’t match against but with these funds, we should be able to get some cosy victories in other categories,” Mwangi underlined.

“Whatever the ranking or classification we will get at the WRC, we will still just appreciate,” he said.

And in order to meet FIA standard test at the championships, Mwangi has planned to do a self scrutineering test with his squad this weekend.

“This exercise will give us hints on what to change or upgrade in the vehicle, so that the car can conform to the international regulations of FIA,” said Mwangi.

Mwangi will also be back at the rough sections of Athi River to do his final test drives for the car.

This is meant to set him off for the Safari Rally as the Athi River terrains are similar to the tedious conditions that are already awaiting him at the WRC in Naivasha.

He is also bonding with his long-term navigator Dennis Mwenda to sharpen their focus for the Safari.

On physical fitness, Mwangi has been doing lots of exercises which he has toned down to twice a week; Mondays and Fridays at the gym.

But he is quick to admit that he has failed in the kitchen department as he is not under any diet.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS