Rally: Kenya signs deal for Safari Rally to remain on WRC calendar till 2026

Sports
By Ochieng Oyugi | Jan 23, 2022
CS Amina Mohamed with WRC Promoter GmbH Managing Director Jona Siebel (second right) Event Director Simon Larkin (right) and WRC Safari Rally CEO Phineas Kimathi after signing the contract to have the Safari Rally on the World Rally Championship circuit until 2026 at a ceremony in Monaco on January 23, 2022.[photo courtesy/WRC Kenya]

Kenya has signed a deal for the Safari Rally to remain on the (World Rally Championship WRC) until 2026.

The deal was signed on Sunday at the Automobile Club of Monaco between Kenya’s Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed and WRC Promoter GmbH Managing Director Jona Siebel.

The CS also signed several partnerships with the WRC revolving around talent development and environmental conservation.

The 2022 WRC Safari Rally will run from June 23 to 26.

Kenyan rally enthusiasts are already excited ahead of the new WRC season which revved off on Thursday with the Rallye Monte-Carlo in Monaco.

The Kenyan leg of the series held in Naivasha last year was the most-watched, with a record 850million viewers.

Kenyan audiences are already dazzled with the super-cars that have been lined up by the top three manufacturers that includes reigning champions Toyota Gazoo Racing, Hyundai Motorsport and M-Sport Ford for the championships.

The plug-in hybrid-powered cars are built around an upgraded safety cell chassis, 100 percent fossil-free fuel and sustainable energy supplies that are key to the sport’s commitment to a greener future.

In order to be at par with the big boys, Kenya National Rally Championships driver Eric Bengi has suggests that the government should take over Kenya's preparations for the WRC season.

Bengi said the series is quite expensive to handle as a solo driver starting out with the high end cars that go for at least Ksh 100 million per vehicle.

"We, as local drivers, need good machines, we need adequate training to help us become competent in this sport. We need better support from the government,” said Bengi.

"I'm suggesting that the government should set a side a Kenyan team, even if only five drivers, equip them well, train them properly, then set them to battle in the WRC series.

"I'm confident those chosen will perform well.I believe they will give the international drivers a run for their money."

Ahead of the new season, Kenya has already set up an office in Europe, in Lahti Finland to capitalise on the great history and rich heritage of the Safari Rally.

The new Safari Rally office in Europe will help market the country as a sports tourist destination.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS