CS Amina urges women to embrace motorsport

Sports
By Ochieng Oyugi | Jan 27, 2022

CS Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage Amina Mohammed. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed has challenged Kenyan women drivers to emulate Monte Carlo Rally winning navigator Isabelle Galmiche and get fully involved in motorsport.

Amina was speaking yesterday in Nairobi upon her arrival from Monaco, France, where she signed a contract extension with the World Rally Championships ( WRC) Promoter GmbH to have the Safari Rally on the WRC circuit until 2026.

Galmiche navigated Rally legend Sebastien Loeb to victory at last weekend’s Monte Carlo Rally in Monaco, the opening round of the 2022 WRC season setting the ball rolling towards the Safari Rally Kenya on June 23-26. 

Safari Rally Kenya returned to the WRC calendar last year with French speedster Sébastien Ogier winning the leg.

Amina, who was accompanied by WRC Safari Rally Chief Executive Officer Phineas Kimathi, said she was delighted to have come back with the deal extending Kenya’s hosting rights.

“I’m sure Kenya as a country and a rally-loving nation will have its drivers exposed, and the WRC Safari Rally will market the country,” Amina said. 

“I’d also like to encourage women in rallying to stay focused and keep trying hard, just like we saw at the Monte Carlo Rally where a woman navigated the rally’s winner.”

Share this story
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS